The History and Heritage of Camberwell
The Camberwell shopping precinct is one of the oldest shopping strips in Melbourne.
The area developed as the population of Melbourne grew and farmers went in search of land. In 1853 an inn was built on the corner of several converging roads and named The Camberwell Inn, as it reminded the owner of Camberwell Green in London. The area took the name of Camberwell and the busy intersection of streets is today known as Camberwell Junction.
When the railway line was extended to the area in 1882 the opportunity for commerce created the businesses along Burke Road. Easy access to the city encouraged further residential development and the shopping precinct supported this growth.
Some of the types of businesses operating then are still needed in the shopping strip today even though most have changed locations and operators many times over the years.
The Camberwell Centre Association established the Camberwell Heritage Group to recognise that many businesses in Camberwell have managed to continuously trade successfully in a challenging industry through some difficult retail periods for more than 20 years.
This page has been created to reward them for their contribution to the Camberwell shopping precinct.
- Ulms Hair
- Cavalier Menswear
- Dunns Leathergoods
- Schwartz & Angelo
- The Chocolate Box
- Sainsbury’s Books
- Browns Jewellers
- The Camberwell Fresh Food Market
- Rivoli Cinemas
Header Image: Rose Stereograph Co 1920, THE JUNCTION, CAMBERWELL, VIC